Re: capsize

theodore f. boyer (freelanc@execpc.com)
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:32:20 -0500

--------------244D321DA55F6925AE584ECD

Dear Bernard,
Sorry to hear about the capsize. I think your on the right track to O.B.
Engine care. More important is to determine what caused the capsize, in
order to prevent it from happening again. Is your potter a 15 or 19 footer?
Was your weighted keel down and fastened? Do you use an inclinometer to
prevent going over too far on a beam reach. What angle would be too steep an
angle? What was your sea condition? Was your hatch closed to reduce water
entry into the dog house? Did you need a sea anchor out? Was there too
little sail area out? Was there too much sail area and no time to reef
alone. Were you pitchpoled, knocked down, broached or just in a lousy pooped
condition?
Ted - Milwaukee