Re: capsize

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:15:43 -0400

JackM,

I don't know anythng about the P14/15. I am a novice and
only have experience with the P19 (short mast). IMHO with
the 310# keel down you will not capsize in any weather
conditions in which you should be sailing. I use my keel
pins, but even without them if the keel is down I believe
it is unlikely you will turn turtle.

In my beginner days, 30 seconds before I became a novice
<g>; I encountered a sudden storm (read wasn't paying
enough attention) which caused very high winds and a 90
degree wind shift. I was lowering sails and had the
mainsail sheeted in to make it easier to take it down.
The wind laid us over, but when we reached the "I'm scared
to death point and can't move (70 degree heel??) the wind
would spill and we would bob back towards upright. Did
that several times before I could get to the stern and
release the mainsheet. I learned a lesson about sheeting
in the main while lowering it in windy conditions. I also
gained the experience of learning that the Potter 19's
heavy iron keel does what it is supposed to do. Freinds
who sail indicte that in may other similar boats I would
have been swimming. Actually floating in my lifevest as I
am not an olympic swimmer. <bg>

The above opinion does NOT mean that I won't careful. In
means that I don't expect the Potter 19 to turn turtle
anywhere I will be sailing it. I am SURE that other
opinions will be forthcoming. I wouldn't be hesitant to
recommend the P19 to anyone.

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626
Rainy nasty cold mountains of Virginia