Re: Water Tank

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 17:26:04 -0400

Jerry,

Several years ago my kids gave me a "fresh water system";
rubber tank (20gal? overkill), plastic hoses, deck filler,
fittings, etc. I think they spent about $80.

My son and I installed it in a short day. Hardest part is
getting the tank out of the way. We installed mine under
the front of the left berth aft of the sink. Water inlet
hose comes directly down from side of deck. Make sure the
outlet is at the low point inboard towards the keel. We
installed a small electric pump, I used three way switche,
on-off-hold on. That way you can turn it on and let it
pump or hold it for a small amount. Eventually when I get
a ROUNDTUIT I am going to install a kitchen spray nozzle
and another switch in the cockpit for washing sand off
feet. I actually have everything I need to finish that
except the ROUNDTUIT.

I was very suprised to find that the faucett actually is a
pump, so you can actually pump small amounts of water
without the battery.

I installed drain on the sink, but actually never use it
for anything other than rinsing hands, washing faces,
filling a glass, etc. We don't cook on board other than
soup or coffee. We have found it easier to take prepared
foods, like salads, fried chicken, cooked ham. The sink
and fresh water system are great and it actually reduces
the clutter some by limiting our "fresh water other than
the system" to a quart in the cooler and an emergency
gallon I always keep in an milk jug.

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626
Mountains of Virginia