Re: Slugs and Sailing, what about a feeder?

Perry W. Phillips (perrywphillips@prayercircle.org)
Wed, 26 May 1999 14:46:01 -0500

Most Illustrious Potterers,

Just for the fun of getting in on the "To slug or not to slug question," I'd
like to remind everyone that with a junkrig, you don't even have a sail track.
The simplicity of rope parrels hold the sail to the smoothly tapered uncluttered
mast, while the lazyjacks gather the sail into a neat bundle to be raised or
lowered at your whim.

I've been knocked down by a 50 kt gust during a squall in one of my previous
boat, which was a Cape Dory Typhoon, only to have four of my sail slugs part and
the sail fly free to the wind when a second gust hit as the boat righted itself.
A thrilling experience. Had it been attached by a bolt rope, I'm certain the
sail would have been in shreds. As it turned out, less than $15.00 worth of
replacement slugs and resewing the nylon webbing and the sail was back in
commission no worse for wear. If you must have a conventional rig, (sigh!) then
it is at least prudent to have as many safety features as possible. My vote is
for the slugs. By the way, the sail flakes better with the slugs thus reefing
is much improved also. (:->

Perry
Perry W. Phillips
"A better world begins with you!"

1970 C Type West Wight Potter "Frodo" Un-numbered Hull
http://www.prayercircle.org/pwphil/pwphil.html
Port Arthur, Texas (Sabine Lake/Gulf of Mexico)

http://www.prayercircle.org
prayercircle@prayercircle.org = For Prayer Request