Re: FAVORITE POTTER ADD-ONS ?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:26:41 EDT

lsteffen@webtv.net writes:

> Thought some of you fellow Potters may be interested in a few of my
> favorite add-ons! PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN TO THIS LIST!

Hi Larry,

...and welcome to the Potter email list.

Your list of "favorite add-ons" is awesome! When are we going to see your
boat?

Some of us have a few add-ons, but I doubt anybody (except maybe Dik, with
Hamada, HMS#11) can come close to the sheer volume of add-ons you've
accumulated in the 25 years or so you've had your HMS18 #35.

There are only three add-ons on our boat that you can't get from the factory.
Plus a few other things that you can get at West Marine. Here they are, not
necessarily in any particular order of importance.

#0.5 My all time favorites are the tell-tales on all my sails -- I wouldn't
sail without them.

1. Tracks with adjustable cars on the cabin rooftop. I can trim the storm
jib and lapper perfectly without leaving the cockpit.

2. An extra 10 square feet of sail on my storm jib. I added a CDI furler,
so when I ordered new sails, the sailmaker and I decided to make the storm
jib just a wee bit larger (40 square feet instead of 32 sf) and cut it so
that it rolls up really well down to about 25 square feet. That's the sail
we use the most often on San Francisco Bay in the summer and it's really nice
to have that extra area downwind and on lighter wind days.

3. Adjustable backstay - it used to be available as an option from the
factory on the original HMs 18's, but no longer.

4. Annual membership in "Vessel Assist" -- you know, the AAA of the sea.
Hope we never have to use it. Not technically an add-on.

5. Windproof Polartec 3000 fleece pants and tops for sailing on wet, windy
days. They're warm even if they're damp, the wind can't get through them,
and they dry in 10 minutes.

6. Gimballed drink holders on the cockpit rails.

7. Mainsheet of high-tech rope. It doesn't hold any water. Always dry,
doesn't drip on us!

8. full length guides on the trailer. Boy, it's a lot easier to retrieve
the boat on a windy day than before!

On my wish list:

1. An Airhorn that sounds like a megayacht! I want the "Ultimate Yacht
Horn", the Kahlenberg model 02M.

See

http://www.kahlenberg.com/sound/yacht/index.html

and click on the "horn" symbol at the bottom right corner of the picture of
the horn. You gotta hear this thing!!! <grin>

2. A CD player

Best,
Judy B.