REEF POINTS (long-winded)

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 08:58:29 -0400

Eric Zilbert wrote:

snip

> We only have one set of reef points on the main, though I think they
> are higher than on most p-19s (Ted, yours was built only 5 boats
> after mine, how many reef points do you have?).

snip

> Eric Zilbert
> Davis "not by the sea" California
> P19 #621 "Riptide"

Eric and gang,

This is long-winded, but might be of interest to other P19
novices. if NOT DELETE.

Mine (P19 #626) only has one set of reef points. I would
guess half way up. BUT, since the sail is shorter and longer
the effect is probably more than would appear because of the
moment arm or some such thing (engineers please forgive me).

I have sailed reefed thrice,

once with mainsail only (13 yr old granddaughter aboard),
and it was great until wind and chop really got rough and
then I chickened out and went home. We went out reefed and
I would NOT have gone out with 20 mph winds, but they were
probably about 12-15 and built up quickly.

once with reefed main and jib when the wind was high but the
chop not so bad and I had a 200# first-timer friend to move
about (what do you racers call that -----RAILMEAT?);

once with my grown daughter (second-timer) and her
schoolteacher friend (first-timer) (LMB-Lovely Movable
Ballast).

All times I felt the reefing was sufficient with wind up to
around 18-20 (?).

The first sail they evidently got above 20 with some
stronger gusts, and I was out of there, MOTOR time.

The second time maybe not quite that high, and with an adult
and a little more experience we had a ball.

The third time I had lovely ladies on the high side and they
"didn't like it reefed, it was more fun before", but a good
sail nevertheless.

I sailed her as flat as I could and I'm sure most of you
could have gone farther, faster and looked better than I
did, but I felt safe the second and third time.......
learned from the first experience, which scared me (but not
my grandaughter). But then I hate ferris wheels and roller
coasters!

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626

Sailing the mountain lakes of Virginia and hopefully next
weekend, if there is wind, the Patuxent River-Chesapeake Bay
at Solomons Island.