Re: almost new P15 capsize story

Ron Magen (quahog@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:01:09 -0400

1) If your the President of the ECPA (and one of those who started it a
year ago) how come you just got your Potter?

2) In the 19 (1989 vintage) there is a hole in the 'top' of the trunk
and a corresponding one in the keel; it 'locks' it down. [ NOTE: I use a
WOOD PIN - it will hold in a relatively 'slow impact' like a roll over,
but will shear if I were to 'bounce' on a shallow with rough wave
motion, and allow me to raise the keel - e.g. low tide at the mouth of
the Sassafras River - Upper Chesapeake]

3) flotation IN THE MAST - stuff it in - DON'T use 'pour in place
stuff'. ALSO this may not be enough. With the keel in-board you have
'ultimate stability' at two points, like a catamaran. Several years ago
the Gougeon brothers ( of WEST SYSTEM ) had a cat' design with what
looked like a 'small blimp' at the mast head. It was a FLOTATION device
. . . you could be knocked down, but COULDN'T 'turn turtle'
{see "Seaworthiness - The Forgotten Factor" by C.A. Marchaj for the
technical & mathematics}

PS: "The Gathering" sounds like the meeting of a Coven