Re: Wheel Bearings

Harry Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:22:47 -0700

I guess I don't know for sure. When I first got my boat and trailer it
already had Bearing Buddies. Not knowing any better and not having the
instructions, I just greased the bearings the way I was taught to lube
landing gear on Navy aircraft: pump grease in until clean grease comes out
somewhere. In this case, the "somewhere" was the back of the wheel. I would
then wipe off the grease, and thereafter (if not before} my wheels flung
grease, messing up the trailer but not really doing any damage. I don't
know if I "blew" the seals or the grease was just forced through the seals,
probably the latter. In either case, it apparently caused the seals to leak
grease afterward.

Later I learned that I was only supposed to inject enough grease to move
the disk outward, overcoming the spring pressure. I've been using that
method since my last repack and haven't noticed any leakage.