Re: Asymmetrical tack fitting

Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 05:48:43 -0400

--------------867042228B3B9D27CAF188FB

Hmmm...

Now I am a bit confused. You say that your new Cruising Spinnaker doesn't have a little piston hank at the tack.....? Maybe Mac is right -- or at least partly right. Perhaps your sail isn't made to run up and down the forestay. I suspect that there may be some geometry differences in the designs of cruising spinnakers so that some can be flown with a loose
tack. Different designers have different ideas. I think that the Quantum Web Page http://www.quantumsails.com/info/assyguide.html#8 and the Neil Pryde Web Page http://sailingsource.com/neilpryde/newslet/19/19-trim.htm give a good idea of the variability of advice and philosophy with regard to how to use these sails should/can be flown. Ah, the many ways to
Potter......ain't it great!

Since the cruising spinnakers are sort of (debatably) a cross between a jib and a full spinnaker, some may be more like jibs (with the tack attachment) and some may be more like "real" spinnakers without the sliding tack attachment (piston hank). I suspect that various designers modify their sail geometries to reflect this.

I think that the Neil Pryde web page http://sailingsource.com/neilpryde/newslet/19/19-trim.htm has a pretty good description of rigging and flying the thing. My short rigged 19' is not fractional rigged so I can use the jib halyard and gybe the sail under the forestay -- which means shorter sheets. On your tall fractional rigged boat I guess you have to use
the longer sheets and gybe over (in front of) the forestay. That's the way I worked it on my Siren 'til I changed from a fractional rig to a full mast rig.

Macs suggestion about flying the sail with a whisker pole is very intriguing and I will have to try it. Unfortunately, I seldom have a crew that is into this sort of fooling around (usually only my wife who is more into reading and eating on the boat) so I am going to have to wait for a time when I am not single handed. Ted Duke is planning to come up for a sail in
the next few weeks so maybe we can try it then.

By the way, I have been caught flying the spinnaker (single handed) when the wind increased to a point where it appeared unwise to keep it up. As Mac pointed out, the boat is still pretty stable, it's just that it is hard to get the sail down in high winds without what Jack Ramsey calls "a comedy act".

I'm not a performance sailor and I just enjoy hanging stuff from the mast and being amazed that the boat moves in the general direction that I desire. I have to apologize to the more performance bent folks on the list for some of my advice which might not be dead on. With the exception of the list -- which I generally read and respond to at 5 AM before the day
turns into turmoil -- I have very little exposure to other sailing people; so a lot of the stuff I come up with is just me re-inventing the wheel (sometimes with a square side or two).

Reading the list is one of the high points of my day and I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers. It hurts me to see the occasional flame wars that erupt since I know that we all have a common interest and desire to enjoy our boats. But then they didn't expect THE SPANISH INQUISITION either!

Regards All
Rye Gewalt
(The Amazing) Grace II
1990 HMS 18 Short Rig
Springfield, VA
(Potomac River Sailor)

"J.J.Falkanger" wrote:

> [...]

I'm not a performance sailor and I just enjoy hanging stuff from the mast and being amazed that the boat moves in the general direction that I desire.  I have to apologize to the more performance bent folks on the list for some of my advice which might not be dead on.  With the exception of the list -- which I generally read and respond to at 5 AM before the day turns into turmoil -- I have very little exposure to other sailing people; so a lot of the stuff I come up with is just me re-inventing the wheel (sometimes with a square side or two).

Reading the list is one of the high points of my day and I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers.  It hurts me to see the occasional flame wars that erupt since I know that we all have a common interest and desire to enjoy our boats.  But then they didn't expect THE SPANISH INQUISITION either!

....snip...