Re: Asymmetrical tack fitting

J.J.Falkanger (gatorjj@mindspring.com)
7 Jul 1999 05:27:49 -0700

On Wed, 07 July 1999, Rye Gewalt wrote:

> Now I am a bit confused. You say that your new Cruising Spinnaker doesn't have a little piston hank at the tack.....? Maybe Mac is right -- or at least partly right. Perhaps your sail isn't made to run up and down the forestay. I suspect that there may be some geometry differences in the designs of cruising spinnakers so that some can be flown with a loose

Rye, that's how I intended to run it. You have me a slight bit concerned in that you've said if it doesn't hank on the forestay it can get out of control pretty easily. I, like you, put stuff on and try and figure out how it works. This will be another one of those things! I'll try it just on the tack line, if it ever cools off enough to go sailing. Seems like it would be easier to douse into the cockpit or cabin with a free tack line. I'll play with it a bunch of ways, and see what seems to work the best, then stick with that until someone who knows better points out what I'm doing wrong.

> Reading the list is one of the high points of my day and I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers. It hurts me to see the occasional flame wars that erupt since I know that we all have a common interest and desire to enjoy our boats. But then they didn't expect THE SPANISH INQUISITION either!

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Or should we call it the POTTER INQUISITION?

Stay cool,

J.J. Falkanger
Cary, NC
P-19# 792 "Fozzguppy"