Re: Butane? (Cooking on the '19)

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:07:20 EDT

72602.3066@compuserve.com writes:

> Speaking of proper location of fire extinguishers, I have a Kidd 110. I
> want to mount the bracket inside the cabin but am having a hard time
> deciding the best place for it. My considerations on location are:
> 1) Easy access in case of a cooking fire.
> 2) Easy access in case of an engine fire.
>
> So far the most logical looking spot is just inside the companionway hatch
> on the port side. It would be easy to reach from either sitting next to the
> stove or from the cockpit area without contorting yourself to grab it. The
> issue I have with this location is that it looks as if I'll have to drill
> clean through the cabin side, which would mean I would have bolt heads
> poking through and into the cockpit. this seems like it would be a bit
> unsightly (not that I keep things looking to shipshape while underway
> anyway) and I don't really want to clutter up the look of things any more
> than they already are. If this is the best location, what should I use to
> seal the holes, and is there a certain way I should drill so that I don't
> peel the gelcoat loose?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or advise!
>
> Bruce
> P-19 "Nanette"

Hi Bruce,

My fire extinguisher is mounted just to the starboard side of the
companionway ladder, with thru bolts. A second extguisher was mounted inside
the transom in the storage compartment with short wood screws into the
transom plywood by the previous owner (although I'm not sure it's a good
location becauseI think it would be hard to get the door open with a fire
nearby. The door has to be pried off, it doesn't have a quick-operating
latch like the new P19's)

On my P19, the vertical wall is solid fiberglass (no core), so any sealant
will do the job, such as silicone or Life Caulk (polysulfide). My personal
preference is Life Caulk, because it adheres to the surfaces longer than
silicone. It's a bit messier to use than LifeCaulk, but both clean up well
with denatured alcohol during installation.

Best,
Judy B