Re: keel degaussing

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:52:56 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/99 4:54:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com writes:

> I've tested how my keel affects the compass but I dont know how to test if
> the keel has become magnetized. Are there any services that can degauss the
> keel or can I do it with a standard degaussing coil? Should I degauss the
> keel separately or degauss the whole boat-trailer combo together?
>
> Jim Nolan

Hi Jim,

Wow! A whole new level of complexity to keep me awake at night! [grin] I've
never heard of anybody degaussing the keel, let alone the trailer.

All I ever did was "swing" the compass according to the instructions in the
owner's manual and to find the constant error, if any. (Swinging the compass
= a process in which you turn both the compass and the boat 180 degrees
together repeatedly... and iteratively adjust the compass to offset the
errors).

If you "swing" the compass, would it really matter if the keel was magnitized
or not? Wouldn't you get a table of constant errors (or find out you had no
constant errors)?

Best,
Judy B.