many weighs to degauss

james nolan (nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:51:32 -0600

From: Rye Gewalt <ryeg@vais.net>
To: james nolan <nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com>; =
wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Sunday, July 18, 1999 11:42 AM
Subject: re: keel degaussing
=20
Jim:=20
I know that several of the East Coast shipyards have degaussing =
facilities, but I doubt that you could schedule your Potter into them =
with out displacing an aircraft carrier or such.=20

I do, however, believe that you can remove the magnetism from a =
metal object by striking it sharply with a hammer or other heavy =
object. Perhaps you could remove the keel from your boat and give it a =
sound thrashing with a three pound sledge using care to strike each side =
equally so the keel does not bend in any particular direction. If your =
keel has been galvanized, this might damage the coating, but perhaps you =
could paint over the dings with epoxy paint. I think keel painting has =
been discussed at some length on the list....=20

I don't think that a magnetized trailer will be any problem as the =
field is probably not strong enough to be transferred to the keel of the =
boat. To keep the trailer from being magnetized by the earths magnetic =
field, I would suggest that you periodically park it facing different =
directions to neutralize any long term effects. It would probably be a =
good idea to try to drive only in north-south directions so that you =
only cut a minimal number of flux lines -- or maybe that would magnetize =
the thing even worse. Where's my physics book?......=20

Then of course you could add a pair of those big iron balls on each =
side of the compass like they do on the big ships to correct for =
residual magnetism, but I don't know what that would do to the stability =
of a small boat like the Potter. If they are placed near the front of =
the boat, they may allow you to point closer to the wind. Of course I =
don't know if I would like to become known as the guy in the Potter with =
the big iron balls. The little white balls that smell of ammonia seem =
to be about enough problem at this point.......=20

Regards=20
Rye=20

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01BED1D4.AA085FA0

Rye:
I think the large iron balls = are a=20 capital idea. They would look great on the binnacle, next to the parrot = stand. I=20 never thought of driving only north or south, but this would really = reduce the=20 flux lines cutting the keel. When a keel cuts the flux lines, eddy (no = pun)=20 currents are set up. These eddy currents act to counter the external = field=20 (Lenz's law). This effect can probably be greatly reduced by covering = the keel=20 entirely in tinfoil when planning to cut some flux linkages. The tinfoil = can=20 also be used for easy cleanup for the Mongolian BBQ (see previous = degaussing=20 tips). For those that think the tinfoil is too simplistic I would = suggest the=20 installation of two large Helmholtz coils on the boat trailer guides. = These=20 coils could be used to great advantage not only for necessary periodic=20 degaussing but also to guide the boat onto the trailer in high winds and = for=20 inducing a strong 60 Hz magnetic field into the speakers of the blaring = stereo=20 in the car next to you. Other convieniences of the coils are that you = can also=20 degauss the anchor or park them under the power lines for free AC = hookup.

Jim Nolan
-----Original = Message-----