Re: Speed

J.J.Falkanger (gatorjj@mindspring.com)
22 Jul 1999 15:38:34 -0700

Thanks to all on this subject. After more thought, I am a bit suspect on the knotstick. If (in theory) my P-19 should max out somewhere around 5.5-5.9 knots due to "hull speed" I would expect the knotstick to either bounce around this speed due to wave influence, or stay constant in the range indicated. I would expect it to measure my speed through the water to be measured correctly (which would read faster than over land), which unless I was planing consistently, would be gated by my hull speed through the water. I frequently had it off the 6 knot chart, which either indicates planing, or the knotstick read incorrectly. Anyone care to comment on this? I was about 55-60 degrees off the wind the whole way--will the P-19 plane in such a tack? Am I not understanding "hull speed" correctly?

J.J. Falkanger
Cary, NC
P-19# 792 "Fozzguppy"
Boat Pictures at http://members2.clubphoto.com/jj119874/