Re: Keel Trunk Leakage

Scott Pack (scott.pack@dii.com)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:50:01 -0700

At 09:35 AM 8/19/99 EDT, SolarFry@aol.com wrote:

I am not familiar with how IM does this now, since I have a HMS built P19.
On my P19 there is no water coming in at all; the fiberglass of the trunk
seals very well with the keel. Is this common for HMS vessels?

> I am toying with the idea of replacing that 'not very useful' piece of
> rubber for a piece of thick wetsuit material. (nylon fabric coated
neoprene) Has
> anybody gone this route with success?

Here's an idea. Take a strip of neoprene maybe 4" wide and long enough to
stretch/wrap around the seam of the keel and trunk. Sew or glue velcro to
the ends so that it makes a big loop, wrap around the trunk/keel seam when
sailing and remove when needed to allow easy raising or lower the keel.
Mt. bicycles have similar setup to protect hydraulic shock cylinders and
head bearings from water and dirt.

> Sure, I may loose about a 1/4 of keel
> in the water, but I would rather not have to worry about creating a wading
> pool for the kiddo down below.

The above suggestion would allow the full use of the keel, in any position.

Good luck!

-Scott