Re: Leaking P19 keel trunks -- a diagnostic approach.

Derek Jensen (djensen@teleport.com)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:55:47 -0700

I take on a little water thru the centerboard trunk nearly every time
I sail. (I'm assuming that's where it comes from) Most the time its
only a few ounces, but it depends on how heavily the boat is
loaded and how much chop I hit.

On my one extended trip with a friend, we had the boat
pretty well loaded up with gear and ourselves, and I sponged
about a quart out of the bilge next to the trunk.
We noticed that the waterline was only a few inches below the bottom
most part of the slot, and figured that had to be where the water
was slopping in.

My p-15 is one of the HMS models, and it is entirely possible that
the design changed enough such that the newer models don't have
this problem. My cement balast blocks have been replaced by lead
pigs, as well, so I suppose there might be slightly more balast in the
boat now, as well. I think I read a post about how to lessen this
intake, but I just sponge it out on occasion and don't have much of
a problem.

Derek Jensen
p-15 # 694 "El Nino"
Porland, OR