Re: Aground and trailer dagger board bunk

Rob Pettibone (rjpett@fwi.com)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:27:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Thos. Westerman <thomasw@vanion.com>
To: <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 1999 1:00 PM
Subject: "We ran aground last weekend"

<snip>

> What else should I look for to note if there was damage? I guess that
> trunk is actually pretty strong which is a credit to International Marine.

We've struck underwater objects at least 5 times in the last month (the
reservoir we sail is 2' lower than normal and in the middle of an algae
bloom so it's impossible to see below the surface) and the only damage I've
found is the pre-existing crack where the liner and trunk meet has gotten a
little worse. Basically you just need to do a visual inspection of the
outside and inside of the trunk. I've thought about using the stuff to find
hairline fissures in rigging to check for very fine stress cracks but
haven't gotten around to it. I'll probably apply epoxy to the exterior of
the trunk in the spring to seal any non-visible cracks.

I've stopped bolting the dagger board in the up position and just lower it
onto the trailer bunk. I keep a bit of tension on the dagger board winch
when she's on the trailer. I'm not sure why IM ships with the bolts in or
why you would want to use the bolts in the first place. My opinion is it
just places additional stress on the boat. My boat was a bit of a mess when
I took delivery from IM. One bolt had come out, the other was bent, the top
of the dagger board had struck the compression post several times, and the
dagger board cable had separated down to just 2 strands.

Rob Pettibone
Grand Lake St. Mary's, OH
P-19 #1094 "Gail Marie"