Re: P-19 Sail Flutter in winds over 10 mph?

Rob Pettibone (rjpett@fwi.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:31:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Johnson <etj@nwlink.com>
To: Rob Pettibone <rjpett@fwi.com>; <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 1999 9:33 AM
Subject: RE: P-19 Sail Flutter in winds over 10 mph?

> > The last 2 times we've been out the wind has been in the 10-16
> > mph range and
> > I've had problems with the jib and main luff fluttering. I tried
various
> > things to get it to stop with no luck. Both times I ended up striking
the
> > sails to avoid any potential damage to the sails. Anyone have any ideas
> > about why this is happening and how to correct it?
>
> Are you pointing too high and simply luffing?

That was my first thought but falling off didn't correct the problem and
trimming the sails didn't correct the problem either. I've looked in my
books trying to find a reference to sails doing this without any luck. I'm
guessing it has something to do with sail shape or not having enough tension
on a sail control somewhere.