RE: Potter 15 vs 19

Sayer, Chris (ChrisSayer@StratfordGroup.com)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:31:14 -0400

Jet -

I have a family of four, and recently opted for a P15. Is it tight for all
of us? absolutely. The kids are 3 and 9, so at least one is pretty compact,
but the cockpit is best for two. During busy periods, the kids go in the
cabin. During leisurely cruising, the little one often naps in the cabin,
and the nine year old likes the foredeck. Sitting in the hatchway, facing
forward with feet straddling the centerboard trunk is the best place for a
larger third body. (It's were I sit when the nine year old is at the helm...
I can still work the sheets.)

Despite the cozy accommodations, I am very pleased with the 15. I wanted
the boat to have enough room for us, but the more important criteria for me
(roughly in order) were:

Price: the advantage for the 15 speaks for itself
Storage: It takes a shoehorn to get my 15 into my available storage space, a
19 would have required me to slip or store the boat elsewhere.
Simplicity: Judging from the number of postings to this group regarding
centerboard lowering and mast raising on the 19, I'd say the 15 holds an
edge here
Time to rig: If I had to spend more time rigging than sailing I just
wouldn't be going very often. Simpler boat = shorter rig.

My two cents worth. Bear in mind that I use the boat as a daysailer that
offers the ability to nap or pee in some degree of privacy. If your plans
are more ambitious, the 19 would look more attractive.

Chris Sayer
P15 Akala #2380