Re: Last Sail

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 01:50:06 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/99 9:56:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
panstett2@yahoo.com writes:

> Hi, Potter Yachters, Northern CA:
>
> When you talk about your last sail this coming
> November...well, does this mean you all are pulling
> your boats out of the water? Is the weather so rotten
> the next several months that you don't want to sail?

Hi Paul,

You can sail year round here, but you'd better own foulies during December,
Jan and Feb.

Those are the rainy months around here. While there may still be some good
days for sailing, you can't count on the good weather like you can the other
9 months of the year. Usually, from March thru November, we can count on
good weather on SF Bay 95% of the time. But during the rainy season, there's
about a 50% chance of rain sometime during the day , on any given day.

Many folks still daysail during the rainy season, when the weather permits,
but it's not a good time of year to schedule club cruises for those months.
During the rainy season, you get up, check the weather and decide to go
sailing or not. It's not something you can plan with confidence months ahead
of time.

Last year, my hubby and I went sailing 3 or 4 days a month during the rainy
season. And half the time, we got rained on late in the afternoon. We'd
enjoy four hours of sun and wind, followed by 1 or 2 hours of wet, cold
misery while we ran for home port.

So while you're shovelling snow, we might be out sailing, but then again, we
might be home on the couch, watching Sunday sports on TV, while the rain
pounds our roofs. And some of us might be building sand-bag levies against
the floods that plague No. California during the rainy season.

Best,
Judy