Genoas and other large sails

Rdement1@aol.com
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:22:11 EST

--part1_0.8fd0d760.255860c3_boundary

In a message dated 11/8/99 8:48:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ttursine@earthlink.net writes:

<< the 150 genny is a
wonderful sail. I use it almost all the time. >>

ditto. Since we rec'd the new set of sails (WHITE main and WHITE genoa,
sorry to shout, but my own personal opinion keeps colors out of sails except
spinnakers!) :) the genoa gets used all the time, except when I can't keep
the boat down. And by tightening the outhaul, and sheeting the genoa in
tight, you can flatten both sails to keep moving in up to 20knots/wind,
without taking on water over the rail. (185lbs singlehanded) If you are
fortunate enough to have at least one crew member on board, you have more
mobile ballast.

<>

I also agree here. I'm not He-Man by any means, but you can play with
pointing up to sheet the genoa in. It helps to do it this way, so you don't
put your ballast on the wrong side of the boat in a breeze, playing with
winches, just as your sails come into trim, giving you a closeup of the
water. I can't say I have never used the winches, because they do get used
for the spinnaker. (It's not 'factory', and is almost 80 square feet bigger
than the 150% genoa and main combined) But that's a story for the web
page.....

I think the more one uses their larger sails, the more one would appreciate
the thrill they get from their boat. It will go faster, it will handle much
more delicately, and will make you a better sailor. But wait, there's more!
If you act now and begin your 72 monthly payments of $19..........

Russ de Ment
Silverdale, WA

WWP19 #779 "Wind Shadow"
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/svwindshdw/index.htm">Web Page: