Marine Radio Basics

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 17:30:14 PST

Santa Claus was extremely generous this year, bringing me not one, but two,
Standard Horizon HX350S handheld vhf transceivers. ( I returned one.) The
350S is substantially constructed, submersible, has a large display, and
seems to work well.

I have no experience with marine radio, and I would be interested in
hearing how others have set up their vhf transceivers, what channels they
programmed in for quick access and scanning, what frequencies they use the
most, etc. I've set up mine initially for channels 16, 9, 68, and 78A, but
haven't felt confident to try it out yet.. The radio has a 16/9 switch for
quick access to the two calling channels and an A/B switch for two other
channels.

The manual indicates a station license is required, but I understand that
is no longer true for VHF radios on recreational boats in the U.S.

Does anyone have the Maritel ship-to-shore service?

Over,

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA