Colored hull repair advice needed

From: Curt Westlake (cwestlake@k-w-b.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 07:56:15 PST

I bought a Potter last spring with the midnight blue hull, and since
winter is here, I've pulled it out of the slip for a variety of
maintenance chores. As this was my first season of sailing, I had a few
dock and trailer "incidents" that have put a number of scratches in her
beautiful blue hull. The scratches are relatively minor but quite
visible. One is about 3 feet long, just below the accent strip (nice
job, Curt!)

My question is whether I can buff these scratches out with rubbing
compound, or do I have to lay on some gelcoat and initiate the
laborious finishing process. I would appreciate opinions and tips for
both courses of action.

Curt Westlake
WWP 19 #1096
"True Love"