Re: cracked tiller

From: Thos. Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 09:53:55 PST

 One exercise of turning lights on and off I got up putting a
>little too much weight on the tiller and heard a ---c - r - a - c - k ---
>from the tiller handle. I steered very gingerly from then on.
I had a similar problem on my p19. I noticed on a sailing a "springeyness"
in the tiller handle up and down. Inspection revealed a crack in the
layers horizontally at the stern end which seemed to pass through the two
horzontal SS bolts that attach the tiller to the rudder. When I got home I
tried some wood glue but the tolerances were difficult, I ended up buying
two Brass bolts and accompanying nuts and cap nuts and drilled verticle
holes within the side brackets of the attachment point for the tiller to
the rudder. It has worked fine.

This spring I plan to do a sanding of the underside of the tiller (dents
from the CB crank) and marine varnish the tiller.