Re: Christmas Day Sailing

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 20:55:54 PST

Hi Mike..

Something that I think helps make the P-15 behave better under
main alone, is to raise the centerboard about half-way, in heavy winds..

Under reefed main alone with the board up a bit you can still get the
little boat to come through the eye of the wind onto the opposite tack..

Without the board trimmed up a bit, the P-15 will come head to wind,
stall, refuse to come through, forcing you to bear off on the same
tack you were on.. I certainly agree that the P-15 does sail
rather nicely on reefed main and jib in heavier winds..
I occasionally chase the local laser and thistle fleets on the
forebay near Oroville Dam, and it is good practice.. Just
keeping the racers well in sight is a challenge.

Best wishes,
Bruce
Bruce Hood P-15 Aillte, Sail no. 1246
Chico, California