Re: Dagger Board

From: Bill Combs (ttursine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 15:59:29 PST

> on 1/8/00 3:37 PM, Rye Gewalt at ryeg@vais.net wrote:

> I keep hearing about using rubber bungies to hold the board down on the 19,
> but have never quite understood how it's done. Do you add some hardware to
> the trunk to attach the bungie? I have been reluctant to attach any hardware
> to the trunk --- normal reluctance to drill hole in boat -- but I suppose that
> the trunk is thick enough to drill and maybe even tap with threaded inserts
> without going all the way through. My 1990 has a trunk that's about 1/2" thick
> fiberglass.

You guessed it. I used SS padeyes (4 total) screwed (1/2" screw) & epoxied
to the keel trunk, long axis vertical. The padeyes are not dainty, on the
theory that the greater the epoxied surface area, the better. Since a goodly
part of my motive was to immobilize the keel so that the foam gaskets would
not leak, I mounted them such that there's a fair amount of tension on the
bungees at all times.

Regards,
Bill Combs

--