Re: Genoa vs. Working jib

From: Bill Combs (ttursine@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 12:01:08 PST

> on 1/17/00 5:48 AM, Curt Westlake at cwestlake@k-w-b.com wrote:

> have a a 19 and I wonder if anyone out there concurs with these
> observations. I am confused. I was always under the assumption that a
> genoa was better in light winds. I would appreciate it if someone could
> straighten me out on this.

I don't know about it straightening anything out, but I surely _do_ have an
opinion, to wit: the genoa is a divine gift to P19 sailors! I use it
whenever possible, often even going to the extreme of putting two reefs in
the main in order to keep it flying as the wind increases.

OK, such high end usage is personal preference, but an undeniable fact is
that on the low end, certainly in 10-12 knots or less and on any point of
sail, there is a *dramatic* difference in performance. The genoa develops a
great deal more power, something I am sensitive to as I often sail very
heavy when loaded down for an extended cruise. In the lightest conditions,
the genny will keep you moving where the working jib would not.

Beating, it is possible to point a tad higher with a working jib, mostly
because sheeting angles can be closer, but there is still an open debate
over whether or not it is an advantage to sail a P19 as close as all that.
The average sailor (i.e., those of us not possessing the skill and intensity
of a Dr. Judy or a Jerry B) can arguably make better time to windward
sailing wide and fast. As I say, still an open -- if lately discontinued --
debate.

In fact, I just bought Dr. Judy's old (new) genoa cause I've about flat worn
my original out! [That and I have dreams of trying a double headsail rig the
next time I have a long downwind leg, even tho I do have a spinnaker. ;-) ]

Regards,
Bill Combs

--
WWP 19 #439 (Aug 1987) "Ursa Minor"