Re: Genoa vs. Working jib

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 13:21:34 PST

On my P14 I found that the genoa made a definite improvement in light air,
using either the original gunter small mainsail or the larger Mark II main.
I would only hoist the genoa if the boat was hardly moving with the working
jib. I didn't use the genoa often though and never really compared the
pointing ability. There is usually plenty of wind on SF Bay, so I used the
genoa more on inland lakes when there was little wind.

 I had a downhaul that worked for either jib so I could lower the jib
easily, but I never had to change jibs in difficult conditions. In light
air and gentle seas, going forward to change headsails has not been a
problem.

One Potter Yachter, Don Bergst, could change his headsails from the
cockpit. Instead of hanking the jib to the forestay he set it flying and
had a block at the stem so the tackline could be turned back to the cockpit
and cleated there. I watched him lower a jib and bring it back into the
cockpit in a manner of seconds. After uncleating the halyard and tackline,
all he had to do was haul in on one of the jibsheets. He could then change
headsails in the cockpit and reverse the process to hoist a different jib.
That requires a wire or low-stretch rope in the luff of the jib to keep the
luff reasonably straight when not hanked to the forestay.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA