Re: P15 CB Slap

From: Kellan Hatch (kellan_hatch@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 16:39:33 PST

Bud,

I was shocked to find out how noisy my P-19 was the first time I slept (or
tried to) in it. It certainly wasn't the peaceful, gently rocking womb I
had been anticipating. Come to think of it, I had a similar surprize with
scuba diving - all those bubbles rushing past your ears...

Actually, the centerboard was my third complaint. The waves slapping the
hard chines was what I found to be the most annoying (not such a problem on
an extremely calm night, of course), second to that was the lighting wires
clanging inside my mast. Centerboard third.

I fixed the wire problem by pumping some insulating foam inside my mast. I
don't know what to do about the other two, though. I don't know if it's
prudent to stuff your ears while at anchor, but next time I'm planning to
bring some earplugs along.

I'm still looking for other solutions. Suggestions?

Kellan Hatch
P-19# 1059
Murray, Utah