Re: Sailing dingy

From: Ron Force (rforce@moscow.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 14:21:09 PST

SolarFry@aol.com wrote:

> -West Marine has a polyformed 8' dink that is a joy to behold and is sold by
> off dealers for about 300 bucks. There are several in my neighborhood with
> home made mast/sails.

There's a short blurb about it in this month's Cruising World. It's made by
Walker Bay Boats. Here's the Wes marine blurb:

This classic lapstrake dinghy is injection molded with impact-resistant
100%-recyclable polypropylene resin for a strong, one-piece hull. Rows easily
from two positions (oars not included), or motors with up to a 2-HP outboard.
Includes one set of locking oarlocks, 3 seats (that meet US and Canadian Coast
Guard flotation requirements), a stainless steel bow eye and a urethane skid
heel. An optional sailing kit assembles easily for wind power. Kit includes
41-sq.ft. nylon sail, 14' 1'' anodized aluminum mast with cap and base
reinforcement, a 7' 1 3/4'' boom with complete hardware for cunningham and boom
vang, 1/4'' mainsheet, vang, and out-haul, and all necessary blocks, cleats and
fasteners. Total rig weight is only fifteen pounds. Bung seals keel plate when
centerboard is not in place. Includes sailbag. Length: 8' 3'' Width: 4' 4''
Depth: 16'' Weight: 70 lb. Capacity: 420 lb. Color: White

Unfortunately, the sailing rig costs as much as the boat ($399.95). You could
probably cob up something less elegant, but cheaper.

--
Ron  Force                                                   rforce@moscow.com
Moscow, Idaho U.S.A.