Re: Unidentified subject! - flotation

From: Bill Blohm (bblohm@hpbs1686.boi.hp.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 13:05:06 PST

Easy one first: I also always carry a knife. In particular,
I carry a leatherman. I'm still looking for the ideal knife
for just cutting your way out of things.

Next one: I've not been inside a P-15 for some time now, so
the idea may not be do-able. However, since what I'm going
to suggest comes in various sizes and is on the market
already, perhaps it's merely a matter of selection and
subsequent location within the cabin.

As to the auto-inflating idea, what's wrong with mounting a
self-inflating liferaft to the cabin roof? They inflate when
they hit water, that's what you're working at. Their volume
could also force at least some water out of the cabin initially
before you sealed the hatches and trunk. If it were to deploy
in the cabin, the layout of the life raft vs other items could
keep it up against the roof, leaving plenty of room to crawl
out underneath it.

For that matter, what about two or more one-man self-inflating
life rafts placed in various locations as opposed to one
five-man self-inflating life raft located up against the
cabin roof, to use a graphic example.

Bill B.
P-19 #454, "Dream Catcher"
Nampa, ID