Towing with a Subaru

From: Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 13:05:19 PST

Jeff:

I have a '99 Outback that I use to pull my 19' with no problems. The
Outback is pretty much the same as a Legacy except for the bigger
wheels, suspension changes and lots of cosmetic stuff. The car is rated
to pull 2000 pounds, but the manual says that you should have brakes on
the trailer if the load is over 1000 pounds. I don't know if this is
technically necessary or if it was put in by the Subaru legal staff to
take care of folks who might not know how to drive with a heavy trailer.
I suspect the latter as the car has huge disk brakes on all four wheels.

My car never breaks a sweat when pulling the boat on a gravel ramp --
the all wheel drive is really great. It is hard to even notice that the
boat is back there except on steep hills. Careful setting of the tongue
weight is necessary if you want good handling -- this has been the
subject of lots of conversation on this list over the years. I only tow
the boat a couple of times a year as I keep her in a slip, but all of my
15 mile pulls to and from home have been very successful.

I bought a DrawTite hitch (class III) for my car and put it on myself.
The installation was a snap and took about half an hour with most of the
time taken in finding the tools and putting them back. I got one heck
of a deal on the hitch from a place up in Pennsylvania -- somewhere
around a hundred bucks including shipping and it's a nice heavy duty
hitch.

Good luck in your search for a Potter.

Regards
Rye Gewalt