RE: Lake Chelan

From: Thomas G. Carlton, M.D. (tgcmd@televar.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 21:26:01 PST

I live on Lake Chelan and keep the boat in the water for the season. I
am not a fisherman, but I am told the fishing is reasonably good. Our
fish do not swim upstream to the lake. Our salmon are land-locked.

The water in the lower several miles of the lake is warm enough for
swimming in the summer . Uplake is COLD year around. Mean vertical
visibility is officially 15 meters. The clearest water is uplake.

The winds can be "interesting." I have had dead calm and reefed main on
the same afternoon. Going the 55 miles uplake would be a LONG sail in a
Potter. It is important to realize that there are long stretches in
which anchoring is impossible and there is no shelter. In one spot you
would need 7,500 feet of rode (chain would be best) to anchor with a 5:1
scope, which would not keep you away from the cliffs.

The sailing is best in spring and fall. One can be becalmed for quite
awhile on many summer days.

If anybody has specific questions about the lake, I would be glad to try
to answer them.

Thomas Carlton, MD
P-19 #899 "Mira"
Lake Chelan, WA