HEAVY WEATHER

From: Krystofr26@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:58:55 PST

Just had to add my two bits to this subject. In defense of Kellan Hatch,
weather in the Rocky Mountain Lakes Region is notoriously fickle. I offer my
personal capsizing story in Harry's collection as evidence. Weather here in
Colorado can go from gorgeous to horrendous and back at the drop of a hat
with little to no advance warning. Our local weather forecasters are
frequently chagrined by the futility of prediciting weather here. This is
especially true in the spring time. We are right where Gulf Coast, West
Coast, and Arctic storm systems love to collide. In years of sailing Hawaii
and the Caribbean I have seen little that can compare to it. If you are
Pottering in this region and encounter one of these surpise blows, my best
advice would be to put ashore anywhere feasible as soon as possible. Being
able to do this is one of the beauties of having a potter (vice fixed keel
boat). In the fifteen there is nothing wrong with running right up on the
beach. In my experience the lake shore of the Great Salt Lake is good for
this. Close up all of the hatches and read a book while you wait for it to
blow over. Then go back to the marina. I have used this technique
repeatedly since turtling. It is great. Kellan, how do you and your Potter
tolerate that lethal salinity and those nasty brine flies? Do you launch
out of that marina by I-80? What is the furthest you have ever gotten from
there on the lake?

Chris Heidrich
P15 2153 Tetra
Aurora, CO