Re: Bimini Tops

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 07:18:00 PST

writes:

<< I don't know if this is off topic here on the WWP
 Capsize/Sinking/Exploding list, but I wonder if anybody has thoughts
 about mounting a bimini on a 19 >>

Rye,

I can't speak about the 19, but the Bimini on my P15 was probably the best
spent bucks I've ever spent on the boat. As much as I love the feeling of the
sun, the comfort afforded by the Bimini is fabulous. Also, when I spend the
night on the boat I find that the Bimini keeps dew from soaking all my stuff
in the cockpit.

I never unmount the Bimini. It has a sunbrella cover and the whole thing
folds back over the top of the tiller handle. It does not interfere with the
tiller at all.

I bought the Bimini from IM, just about three years ago. As I remember, it
was a little expensive, but the quality is the best. The frame is all heavy
stainless and the fabric is all sunbrella. It fits perfectly. It is mounted
on the cockpit rails, which required drilling four small holes and mounting
little eyes on the rail to clip the support straps when it's up. You can
even sail the boat with the Bimini up, it does not interfere with any lines
and is just below the boom. I find it a little disconcerting trying to sail
with it up only because I can't see the main to keep it trimmed.

When the day is hot and still and I'm motoring the Bimini is a Godsend. When
the boat is beached and I'm enjoying a sandwich or just relaxing and enjoying
the afternoon, the cockpit is comfortable. It even keeps the cabin more
comfortable by shading the companionway.

It also looks sharp.

I hope I have helped.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop