Re: Outriggers/pontoons for Potters

From: Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 11:44:13 PST

Jim Nolan wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has considered putting detachable outriggers on the boat
> (especially the P-15) for more positive stability. The pods could be simple
> styrofoam pontoons supported by wooden poles clamped into oarlocks. It would
> also add a nice Polynesian touch. They could easily be removed for
> trailering/docking. A more sophisticated pontoon could provide additional
> storage/seating.

Jim:

Don't laugh, but I've not only thought about this in the past, but ECPA member
Brett Coleman and I actually sketched up a design and played around with it back
in 1995. I have toyed with the idea of revisiting this, as it would lend more
stability and give an impressive amount of extra deck room (at least the way we
did it, with removable tramponlines and whatnot).

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor s/v Always P15 #2125, lateen rig, sailing greater Chesapeake region "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM "Love is good; Love hurts; Love sustains; Love remains." --LSSM