Re: Trailering with Outboard on Transom & keel trunk damage from towing

From: Rob Pettibone (rpettibone1@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 04:36:51 PST

> 1600+ pounds. Has anyone experienced keel trunk damage when towing>
> Jim Nolan P-19 #426 Panache

I've experienced keel trunk damage from towing. I have never hit a large
bump or pothole and wouldn't describe any of the roads I've towed on as
particularly rough. Damage; deformed bolts, separating cable, hairline
crack of interior fairing between trunk and hull, and fiberglass worn down
to metal on top of keel trunk where the bolts rubbed. I'll admit the damage
is all minor, relatively speaking, but it was obvios it would continue to
worsen if I didn't do something different. I now trailer with the keel
resting on the trailer keel bunk with just enough tension in the cable to
keep it from slapping from side to side.

My question to everyone considering towing with the motor in place is, why
risk it? Sure you can get away with it for a while - people on the list do
it. However, it's just adding to the fatigue on your hull over time and you
wouldn't want to do anything that could have an adverse effect on that hull
that keeps you afloat would you?

Rob Pettibone
P-19 #1094 Gail Marie