Tuning rig and closed body turnbuckles. [WAS: A'hoy Judy!]

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst (drjudyb@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 15:18:42 PST

Ahoy Gretchen and John,

Gretchen, thanks for sending John that old email of mine on shroud tuning
for the P19. I'm working off a lap top because my old desk top died and I
didn't have the time to go searching for that old email.

Somewhere in my archives I have several more email "essays" on shroud
tuning. When I get the time, I'll dig them out and see if there's any more
good info I can share with you-all.

Last month, Jerry and I had to opportunity to work on Doug Pittman's 1997
P19 #967. We tuned his rig for him, among other things.

His new-ish P19 has the closed body turnbuckles, which have an annoying
habit of loosening while you're trailering. It's danged hard to keep your
rig tuned if the studs work their way out of the body... your shrouds will
get too loose.

With the help of Joe Davis at Svensen's Chandlery, we came up with a
solution for locking the closed body turnbuckles. The solution is simple
and elegant - use two nuts on each end of the turnbuckle, rather than the
single nut they come with.

The turnbuckles come with one locking nut on the top stud and one on the
bottom. If you use TWO nuts on each end, and snug them down against the
turnbuckle body and against themselves, the stud will not work itself out to
a lengthened position.

I don't remember the size of the nuts, (was it 1/4" coarse?).

One thing that's important is that have one stud with a *LEFT-HAND* thread,
while the other stud has a *RIGHT-HAND* thread. So you need to order a
total of 2 left-hand nuts and 2 right-hand nuts (plus one of each for a
spare)

Svenson's carries them in stock. If you can figure out the size, you can
order them from Sven's by calling 510 522 2886 or 800 824 2391 (ask for the
retail shop)

Fair winds, Judy B