Re: Tuning rig and closed body turnbuckles. [WAS: A'hoy Judy!]

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 09:13:37 PST

Hi Judy and web gang:
It's even simpler and more elegant to run a piece of lockwire through the
holes in each turnbuckle body, locking them together and thus preventing the
turnbuckles from rotating. My 95 P19 came with extra (standard) nuts on
each end of the turnbuckles and while that does help, both nuts will loosen
if vibrated long enough. If you replace one set of standard nuts with Nyloc
nuts, you'd be better off, but still after several adjustments, Nyloc
inserts wear out and lose their anti-vibration ability. We've learned from
the aviation industry that lockwire is preferred where a nut must be
retained on a bolt at a given setting. Besides, its quicker and cheaper.
Hope this helps,
Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19#804
Aripeka, FL

You said:
His new-ish P19 has the closed body turnbuckles, which have an annoying
habit of loosening while you're trailering. It's danged hard to keep your
rig tuned if the studs work their way out of the body... your shrouds will
get too loose.

With the help of Joe Davis at Svensen's Chandlery, we came up with a
solution for locking the closed body turnbuckles. The solution is simple
and elegant - use two nuts on each end of the turnbuckle, rather than the
single nut they come with.