Re: FW: Trailering with Outboard on Transom [WAS RE: Looking forP-19Character...

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 21:36:41 PST

In a message dated 2/10/00 8:25:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
drjudyb@pacbell.net writes:

<< I received this from Glenn at the Potter factory. Seems there's another
 issue about trailering with the outboards on the transom. Some of the
 manufacturers of OB's recommend that they be removed from the transom
 because the brackets on the smaller outboards are not sturdy enough to take
 the strain of bouncing in and out of potholes. >>

As if there weren't enough reason's to remove the outboard for traveling, I
was told by Nissan a long time ago, that the constant vibration and jarring
of a mounted motor can damage the float mechanism and needle valve seating in
the carb.

You'll also find your boat follows better without the motor because you will
have more weight on the tongue of the trailer, rather than hanging off the
stern. Again my disclaimer: I can't swear that the difference on a P-19 is
noticeable, but on my P-15 I can really feel the difference between with and
without the motor mounted.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961