Re: P19 Centerboard Help

From: HandyM2@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 04:24:47 PST

Thanks for the response. I tend to agree about the Center of Gravity issue.

<< I think the main precaution in a P19 is
 not to try to sail with the daggerboard up because the center of gravity is
 raised significantly with the heavy board raised straight up (as
 distinguished from a swing keel or centerboard, which keeps the weight low
 in the boat)

FWIW I've seen P19's take a quite heavy microburst of weather going down to
the gunwales and return even with full sail up, once the boom was let go.
I've seen adjacent similar sized sailboats simply turn Turtle from the same
event.

Thus I chose a Potter as my first sailboat. She is not quite idiot proof but
quite solid and well priced for the value.

 Haven't heard of any exploding Potters. The propane hazard is probably no
 more or less than in an RV or any other similar installation. Likewise
 carbon monoxide is a concern when combustion takes place in any enclosed
 space. >>

Yes, I agree. Thus my tendency to cook above decks on the BBQ. You know
with a little effort you can even Bake on your BBQ? A cockpit tent makes all
the world of difference IMHO.

Thanks again for the replies. I probably will not be able to respond to them
all.

Michael
P19 Traveller
Columbia SC