RE: Tilting Trailers

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst (drjudyb@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 23:50:07 PST

Ken,

the original trailer that came with my P19 Redwing was a Dilly tilt trailer.
Even with the tilting mechanism, it was hard to get the boat retrieved (not
hard to launch, with or without the tilt feature). I never worried about
getting the bearings wet. I just repack or replace them every year as
routine maintenance.

The tilt feature did make it a little easier, and I never had any trouble
with the winch. As soon as we winched the boat up onto the trailer halfway,
the tilted part lowered itself gently and we continued to winch the boat up
to the bowstopper.

Even with the tilt feature, it was too hard to get the boat properly aligned
on the and too easy to gouge the bow on the bowstop. David and I had two
unpleasant fights over retreiving the boat. David and I have only had five
big fights in our whole married life, and TWO of them were caused by that
trailer. David swore that he was never going sailing with me again if we
didn't get rid of that trailer. It had to go.

That old Dilly trailer also was too short for the boat, in my opinion -- the
transom hung out over past the bunks more than 4 feet. And if we both stood
in the cockpit, the boat and trailer popped a wheelie -- the tongue rose up
in the air and the stern dropped. We had to put a jackstand under the rear
cross member everytime we unhitched it, and that was a pain too. And the
tongue was too short to open the rear door to my van. Three more reasons to
get rid of the old, cranky thing.

I bought and modified a Caulkins trailer so that it is similar to the
factory's Baja trailer. It carries the boat much lower, between the wheels,
has long bunk-stle side guides, and a swing tongue. It fits in the garage,
too (but there's too much junk in the garage, so REdwing sits outside under
a carport canopy. You can see pictures of the trailer on my Potter website
at http://hometown.aol.com/jblumhorst/Trailer.htm

Without that old trailer, my marriage is happy and calm again. :^)

Judy B
1985 WWP-19 #266, Redwing, SF Bay, CA

PS. The standard Ganges trailers that come with the newer P19's are much
better made and designed than the old Dilly ones. they're pretty good for
supporting, launching and retreiving the P19's. But even still, the Baja
style is much easier to launch and retreive the P19's than the standard
Ganges trailers.