Re: Cell Phone or VHF?

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 16:33:59 PST

writes:

<< I am curious which is more common, practical, and usefull on a boat that
is
 going to be sailed mostly on inland lakes (eventually, occasionally, used
for
 some coastal sailing) - a cell phone or VHF. Any opinions? >>

Brian,

I cannot tell you about other places, but here at Lake Tahoe the Coast Guard
wants you to use a VHF. If you call 911 on a cell phone you will get Reno,
NV sheriff's office. That is almost an hour's drive away. They will
eventually transfer you to the Coast Guard or local fire department, if your
phones still working as you go under or if someone's having a heart attack if
they're not purple yet. If you use a VHF, you get Lake Tahoe Coast Guard and
help or a tow will be on it's way now.

A phone makes a handy backup. The one emergency you can do with a phone that
you can't with the VHF is to call home and say you're gonna be late for
dinner.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961