Re: Cell Phone or VHF?

From: HandyM2@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 15:50:31 PST

writes:

<< I am curious which is more common, practical, and useful on a boat that is
 going to be sailed mostly on inland lakes (eventually, occasionally, used
for
 some coastal sailing) -- a cell phone or VHF. Any opinions?

Well, for what it is worth, I sail in Lakes and some limited coastal and find
my cell phone quite useful.

Maybe I am just cheap and find a limited use VHF not to my taste but 911 on
the cell phone SEEMS to generate better response than some folks using VHF to
communicate with the Coast Guard.

Maybe my opinion will change when I move back to Yakima, WA and start sailing
about the Puget Sounds Area.

Any opinions of the Puget Sound Sailors? California Sailors?? Come to THINK
of it, are there Oregon Sailors?? I do not recall seeing any OR Sigs on this
list.

Michael
P19 Traveller
Columbia SC