Re: P19 Mast Raising

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 08:41:16 PST

Hi Chuck:
Not only can 1 person raise a P19 mast; you can do it easily without the expense of the mast raising system. Here's how:
1. Balance the mast on the mast crutch so that the step is aligned with the fitting on the cabin top.
2 .Insert the aft bolt through the maststep and deckfitting and secure it
3. Double check that all lines are not fouled on something
4. Tie a line to the end of the head stay ( or use the masthead spinnaker halyard if installed) and lead the line forward around a convenient point. I use my anchor roller but the pulpit rail works fine. Hold the line in your hand
5. Stand on the step in the cockpit and lift the mast to your shoulder. Be careful to minimize the side load on the mast step.
6. Close hatch and put knee on closed hatch top
7. Put other knee on cabin top. Push up mast as you go
8. Stand up. Continue pushing up on mast. Take in slack on line you ran around the forward point
9. Ease the mast to full upright position. Take out all the remaining slack in line
10. Walk forward, holding the line taut until you reach bow
11. Grab deck end of head stay and hook it up .
That's it.
I've used this method with the boat on the trailer and in the water for 5 years with no problems. For reference, I'm 6'0", 210 lbs, and 58 years old
Hope this helps,
Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19#804
Aripeka, FL