Re: P19 Mast Raising

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 13:37:32 PST

Greetings, all:
This was my answer to Tim's question. Since others seem interested, I am
posting to web. I don't begrudge anyone the right to mount additional
hardware on thier Potter, but I hate to see a simple task unnecessarily
complicated.

Thos Westerman said "The one time I tried it solo (on water to avoid
a lightning strike) I ended up with a forestay cut in my fingers, a bounced
hatch, and a smashed GPS--bummer, $85 repair and the whole process scared
the stuff of me. I dont recommend it. This year I have invested in a SS bow
connect point, some pulley hardware,
etc and a winch crank. Dont plan on repeating the horror.

Please note that I use a bow roller, strong and adapted to other uses, as a
turning block for my lowering line, and agree that by changing the direction
of pull it makes the task easier. I just can't believe a winch, gin pole and
baby stays are required.

Hi Tim:
You asked "Have you found that simply reversing your procedure has been
sufficient?"
Pretty much. Before unhooking the head stay, I have the spinnaker halyard
reeved through the anchor roller and taut. I installed a rail mount cleat
on the pulpit to facilitate tying this off. Mast crutch is in position (I
also installed an alternate set of gudgeons on the stern about 4 inches
offset to starboard from the ones that the rudder mounts to, so that I can
have the mast crutch and rudder installed at the same time. That's because
after leaving my house, I have to get under a 9 foot bridge to reach the
Gulf.) Unhook headstay and ease out the spinnaker halyard. A cross wind can
make this a ticklish manuever. Continue lowering slowly and under control
until mast sits in crutch. I think having the extra friction of the halyard
around the anchor roller enhances control. A person to guide the mast as it
descends does make this easier. I did have the mast get away once (foot
slipped on wet deck) and the result was a small hole in the sliding hatch
where the lower vang eye hit.
Hope this helps,
Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19#804