Stanchion Help

From: Eric Zilbert (eezilbert@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 09:52:26 PST

Russ - An addition to my previous message (copied below for potter list).
I looked in the West Marine catalog and see tubing and fittings on page210
(I think). I think 6 foot of the 7/8 stock would be enough to build the
stanchion/braces. Thats $32. Plus you would need four mounting brackets
at $6 each ($24) if you get the chrome ones, more for stainless. You would
need two tees which look like $13 each ($26). Thats $82 and you still have
to buy the rail attatchments for the pulpit (2 or 4 depending on how many
wires you want) at $7.50 each. Add to that the lines, and don't forget you
have to drill your own holes in the tubing, for which you will likely need
a drill-press. - Eric

Russ - I have thought about putting a lifeline on Riptide. If I did, I
think I would use the same system I have seen on the Montgomery 17. The
boat has a bracket that attaches to the deck and to the cabin, like a T on
its side. It is positioned near the aft end of the cabin. You have to
step over the side brace comming out of the cockpit. It also makes a good
hand hold. The lifeline runs forward to the pulpit. You might be able to
make one up using stainless tubing and fittings. I seem to think they ran
outside of the stays, or were maybe attached to the stays. In any event,
stainless is expensive, $50 a side would seem about right. I would think
you could make them up from rail fittings and stoc tubing. What I really
like about the Montgomery is the netting. Keeps sails on board! - Eric

P.S. I play trumpet too.
Eric Zilbert
Davis "not by the sea" California
P19 #621 "Riptide"