Re: Necessities

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 18:40:40 PST

You asked for it and here it is... Don't laugh yourself silly reading my
list, please.

I'll try to summarize my list of spare parts, but my rigging isn't standard,
so my sizes won't be relevant to other boats. I've been accumulating
rigging hardware for years, and probably have an inventory of used and new
parts worth over $1000.

I've been know to buy old racing boats at garage sales for $100 for the
hardware and throw away the hull. :)

I don't mind if y'all tease me... I think it's kinda funny too.... :)

Judy B

Here's the first list:
- several extra clevis pins in the sizes you need
- a dozen cotter pins in the sizes you need. circular cotter rings too in
several assorted sizes.
- An assortment of spare shackles of various small sizes, with threaded pins
(not the kind you use cotter rings for). Captive pins are even better and
easier to use on a bounding foredeck or cabin top in an emergency (but they
cost alot)
- Twist shackles
- Eye-straps
- 30 feet of high tech, low stretch line, and knowlege of how to tie a knot
in slippery stuff. 1/8" or 7/64 spectra will substitute for a broken shroud
very nicely and requires no tools.
- photo copies of knots I might need but don't use often enough to remember
them properly. For example, the truckers hitch and zeplin hitch. Also
special versions (for slippery line like spectra) of bowlines and other
knots
- One spare headboard shackle.
- One spare snap shackle
- Spare pins (or bolt) for mast/tabernacle attachement
- One spare of each size quick pin you use. All quick pins on my boat are
attached by lanyards.
- two strong double blocks with shackles that can be rotated 90*. Can be
used for replacing any lost block, or rigging a 4:1 tackle for use in an
emergency. One double block with a becket for similar reasons.
- a few spare cheek blocks, assorted sizes.
- an assortment of different length rope - from 20 to 45-50 feet.
- 100 foot tow rope
- rivet gun and assorted SS and aluminum rivets. Sections of pipe that fit
over the handles so I can get extra leverage.
- assorted lengths of flat head and phillips head bolts, nylocks nuts, and
nuts in sizes 6, 8, 10 (alot of 10's), 12's, 1/4" (alot of these), 5/16" and
3/8. Regular washers and fender washers. Gauge for determining drill bits,
bolt sizes, listing of tap and dies. I have at least $200 worth of spare
bolts and nuts!
- Locktite (blue)
- West Marine epoxy and catlyst in premeasured packets.
- A couple of used camcleats for scavenging parts in case one breaks.
- Crimp on Electrical connectors in assorted sizes for quick repairs with
tool for crimping and wire stripping. A few feet of wire in assorted
gauges.
- Assorted tapes, as previously described :)
- Sailors palm (thimble) with assort needles and threads
- Full tool bag with electric drill with two batteries. Hack saw. Pliers,
wire cutters, drill set, socket wrench sets, rachet handles (straigth and
universal joint), open end and box wrenchs, offset wrenches for getting into
corners, screw drivers, offset screw drivers, vise grips, adjustable
wrenches, kitchen shears (like the ones for cutting poultry bones - real
strong), flat files, rat-tail files, small triangular file. Tap and die
sets for size 8, 10 and 1/4"
- At least three sail stops, because they like to bounce overboard and go to
Davey Jones' locker :)

That's all for now folks! :)