Rigging and Sail trim [was: RE: BOOM Rigging]

From: chris.beatty (chris.beatty@bankofamerica.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 13:44:59 PST

I have another question on Rigging and trim: I noticed this weekend that my
port tack out-performs my starboard tack. Is there a commonly known item to
look for? My only hunch was that there must be something with my
shroud-tuning/standing-rigging that isn't "goodness." The wind was marginal,
but steady at 10 knots. The behaviour of Deep Blue was very perplexing: On a
port tack I would pinch until the jib leech was going to luff, then fall off 10
degrees--she would find her slot and "stand up" perfectly (BTW, what a
wonderful sensation that is!). Same excersize on a starboard tack would result
in heeling, but Deep Blue wouldn't "stand up" and I messed with falling off a
little more, and more,... I could not find "the slot" or get her to stand up.
:-(

What am I missing (probably the basics, right?)

Chris Beatty
P19, #1176, Deep Blue
Alameda, CA