Re: Fast sailing

From: chris.beatty (chris.beatty@bankofamerica.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 10:23:10 PST

8< Snip >8

>>my question is... CAN the potter plane? I would like to know
>>if it's possible, what with our flat hull shaped just like a planing
>>motor-boat. I could have been wrong, so I want to know if planing
>>is possible in our dear little P-15's.

>I'm sure given enough wind it can, especially in yesterdays' winds in puget
>sound. Tell me - do you have tell-tales on your main? the reason I ask is that
>if weather helm was that bad there's a good chance your main was sheeted in
>too tight, which could be verified by telltales at the leech of the main
wrapping
>around the leeward side of the sail. With the mainsheet, when in doubt, let
>it out! you'll sail flatter, be able to handle higher winds, and go faster.
>In winds like that you'll want to run the outhaul pretty tight to keep the sail
>flat.

>wish I could have been out there - sounds like it was a lot of fun!
>http://www.nwlink.com

Check out Judy B's website for an article on "How fast IS a Potter?" and a
discussion on Hull speed:
http://hometown.aol.com/jblumhorst/hullspeed.html

You will find that the discussion indicates that there are three basic types of
hulls:
Displacement -- Semi-Displacement -- Planing

Potters, according to the article, are Semi-Displacement hulls. The article
argues that a Potter can plane.

I personally don't have enough experience to argue either way. So, I will stay
out of it. People start talking
about LWL, LOA, and [insert shudder] VMG, my eyes glaze over and I hear Charlie
Brown's teacher from
"Peanuts." "Waa, woa, waaa, waaa, waaa,..."

All I know is, it's FUN!! and I love that sound and that feeling you describe
when a boat catches enough wind to lift it up and
carry it across water!! Then my eyes glass over and I hear Al Pacino from
"Scent of Woman" go
"Whoooo Haaaaa!"

Chris Beatty
P19, #1176, Deep Blue